January 12th, 2011: After almost 18 months of torture a package arrives. It contains the most important of all kitchen appliances, after the microwave and the dishwasher of course. Behold, the Waffle maker.
You see, one of the only gifts I actually got to choose in our wedding registry was the gift of a waffle maker. Due to cleaning difficulties with the particular item we received, Shannon deemed it inoperable and unilaterally disposed of said waffle maker without my knowledge or acquiescence.
Although, owing to the cleaning difficulty, we used the device rarely, waffles were a great treat which I looked towards fondly. A month or two after she disposed of the appliance, I asked for waffles, only then did I find that Shannon had deemed them an unnecessary evil and banished them from our house forever. “But,” I cried, “Isn’t this a democracy!” Shannon laughed at the thought an continued on her merry way. That fateful morning Zach had wanted waffles, but Shannon instead distracted him with Pancakes, as if they could serve as a worthy substitute for waffles.
Quietly, I plotted my revenge. Every Saturday I woke up and asked Zach what he wanted for breakfast. Lying in wait for the opportunity to spring my trap, I would wait for that fateful day Zach would ask what I wanted for breakfast. Days, weeks, maybe even months went by, yet I waited. Christmas at the Weiss’, where waffles are served with joy and happiness, only reminded me of the pain and sorrow that awaited for me in my own house. But this was the opportunity. I talked with Zach about the Waffles at grandma’s house, and how good they were, and he agreed. One morning, Zach finally asked what I wanted for breakfast, I answered Waffles. He thought this was a good idea! Finally I had a plurality.
After wearing down the opponent, she finally agreed that a new waffle maker could be purchased, if it met certain cleaning criteria. The quest was on, and my sibling-in-laws brought sweet and delicious victory to my home, when they bestowed upon us a gift, a gift of a grand waffle maker.
Now the whole family enjoys waffles. Zach even requests waffles on the mornings I don’t go to work early! Tyler enjoys his waffles, and he doesn’t even get to put sweet syrup on them.
Rest assured the left leaning (when it comes to Waffles) Shannon will never be allowed to usurp the majority and take away our waffles.
May the democracy live on!
That cracked me up. Apparently there is a place downtown called Sweet Iron Waffles that is amazing.
ReplyDelete